Total Basset Case: Mexican Mini Meat Loaves

Mar 30, 2011

Mexican Mini Meat Loaves

It is no secret that the Mister and I love meat loaf and we also love Mexican food.  So, naturally, I was dying to try this recipe! I found it last week as I was perusing a cookbook we received as a wedding present. (Fun fact of the day, if you ever want to make me swoon or love you forever, just present me with a cookbook and I'm all yours.) The cookbook is titled, 'Betty Crocker Why It Works: Insider Secrets to Great Food' (here's the link on Amazon, it's definitely worthy of adding to your collection).

Mexican Mini Meat Loaves with Chipotle Barbeque Sauce
(adapted from Betty Crocker Why It Works: Insider Secrets to Great Food- I made a few changes)

Meat Loaves
1 1/2lb ground turkey
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup salsa
1/2 cup shredded cheese
1 can Rotel
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
3 slices bread, turn into small pieces
1 egg
1/4 cup salsa

Sauce
1 cup barbeque sauce
1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, chopped
2 teaspoons adobo sauce (from can of chilies)
2 tablespoons apricot preserves


1. Heat oven to 350 and spray 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, mix all meat loaf ingredients except 1/4 cup salsa.  Divide mixture evenly among cups (cups should be very full). Brush tops with remaining 1/4 cup salsa. Place muffin tin on cookie sheet to catch any spillover.
3. Bake 30-40 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in sauce pan, heat all sauce ingredients to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 mintues.
5. Remove meat loaves from pans and top with sauce.

These were very good, we really enjoyed them! I used ground turkey instead of ground beef/chuck to cut the fat out.  I also suggest only using 1 chipotle chile if you do not like things super hot.  I also substituted a can of Rotel instead of a can of green chilies. Sorry I forgot to take a picture of these, but just trust me, they are very good!

1 comment:

Hillie Gaither said...

this is so up my gf ally! I'm going to try it out! (wonder how gf bread works as an adheisive for the loaf...hmmm)